SELLING YOUR JADE JEWELRY
Hawaii Estate & Jewelry Buyers is one of the top jade buyers in Hawaii. But we don’t just buy jewelry, we take the time to educate our customers so that they understand how we determine the value for their jewelry and make sure they feel comfortable with the price they are getting for their piece.
ASSESSING YOUR JADE JEWELRY
Jade prices can range significantly from $10 to hundreds of thousands of dollars depending on color and quality. Color is very important with jade but pieces that are color enhanced or have their color impregnated are not as valuable.
Jade is divided into three main categories:
- Type A – natural untreated
- Type B – chemically bleached to remove impurities and injected with polymer
- Type C – chemically bleached and dyed to enhance color
Type A jade can be worth significantly more than Type B or C. Antique jade is the most valuable.
It is important to note that sometimes pieces look like jade but are actually other natural stones such as serpentine, agate or aventurine quartz. Our team however, can work with you to help you determine what kind of stone you have – or what type of jade your piece is, whether it’s an Imperial jade, Burmese jade or Chinese jade.
Caring For Your Jade
- 1. The proper way to clean jade is to simply wash it in a mild soapy warm water solution. A soft bristled brush may be used with care for cleaning the crevices in carvings. Rinse well and pat dry with a soft cloth.
- 2. Jade is usually cut en cabochon, a smooth and polished cutting style that does not have the sharp angles of faceted stones, which allow for secure stone setting. Epoxy is often used to affix jade in its setting, therefore it is advised to avoid using very hot water, or exposing the item to water for an extended period of time as it may weaken or damage the epoxy, putting your stone at risk of loss.
- 3. Never steam jade or immerse jade in ultrasonic jewelry equipment and cleaning solutions.
- 4. It is best to remove your jade before swimming in a chlorine treated pool, the ocean, showering or soaking in a hot tub.
- 5. Always remove your jade rings before gardening. Dirt can act as an abrasive and damage the finish of your piece.
Contact us today for information on how we can help you sell your jade jewelry. And if we are unable to sell your jade, our job isn’t over. We will help you by reaching out to our extensive network of partners to make introductions and help get your jewelry sold.